District 86 continues to closely monitor information about the Coronavirus from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Illinois Department of Public Health. There are NO reported cases of Coronavirus connected to Union Ridge School District 86.
We encourage families to review the IDPH’s guidelines for Illinois schools, and to follow its common sense advice for preventing the spread of illness (as we are doing ourselves in all of our schools):
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Keep children home from school if they are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
District 86 is taking a proactive approach and following the IDPH guidelines, which include cleaning and disinfecting schools daily as part of ongoing custodial services. It is also purchasing hand sanitizers and disinfectant wipes for placement in all buildings.
As noted in the guidelines (p.2), the IDPH does not recommend canceling classes/mass gatherings at this time.
District 86 will continue to follow all federal, state, and local recommendations; any decision to close D63 schools would be guided by the IDPH, based on the best course of action to ensure the safety and health of our students and staff.