Arrival & Dismissal Procedures
Walking and Bicycling
Students (and parents) are encouraged to walk and bicycle to school and will be welcomed at all entrances of the school.
Traffic Safety (as written in the Student Handbook)
No Parking Areas
Parking or waiting is prohibited along Cassata Lane and Oak Park Avenue, as specified by signs. Parking is available in the south lot directly across the street from the school on Cassata Lane and Oak Park Avenue. Harwood Heights Police will be enforcing posted regulations from the start of the school year. Do not park in the student drop-off area immediately in front of the building. The parking lot located behind and north of the building on Oak Park Avenue is reserved for staff members only.
Student Drop-Off/Pick Up Lane
Students may be dropped off or picked up in the lane directly in front of the school building and west of the school building between Newcastle and New England Avenues on Cassata Lane. Vehicles will be permitted to stop only to drop off students or pick them up in these lanes and immediately move on. No parking or waiting is permitted in this zone. Vehicles are not to stop and wait for students. Students being picked up will wait along the green fence until they see their vehicle. If students are not present, circle around again.
Crossing Cassata Lane
Students will be directed to cross Cassata Lane at the intersections of Cassata and Newcastle and Oak Park and Cassatta Lane. Please instruct your children to cross only at these corners where they are protected by stop signs and a crossing guard/school personnel. Crossing guards/school personnel will not permit children to cross the street except at these intersections.
Parents of early childhood or kindergarten students using the drive-through, pick-up area are referred to regulations in the Early Childhood/Kindergarten Parent Handbook.
All parents should remain outside of the school. PLEASE NOTE THAT PER STUDENT HANDBOOK, PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON SCHOOL PROPERTY DURING THE SCHOOL DAY (INCLUDING ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL).
• Please be considerate of neighborhood residents and do not use driveways or alleys as remote parking spots.
• Remember that your child is safe, warm and dry waiting in the lobby, so there’s no value in getting there early and simply sitting in the car queue. Instruction continues until 3:30 PM. We will begin to release students shortly after the bell rings.
• Your child should know where he/she is being picked up before leaving for school. Please relay the day’s plan to your child so they are prepared.
• If someone new is coming to pick up your child, please inform them of the procedures ahead of time so they know what to do.
Mid-Winter Safety Reminders
1. Make a plan with your child and stick with it.
2. If your child cannot find you at dismissal, they must return to the school building at 3:45pm. Your child will be safe and warm until contact between the school and families.
Union Ridge School
Student Drop Off/Pick up Map
- Office & Attendance
- School Nurse Office
- Early Childhood Program
- Take Home Folder
- Athletic Conference
- Breakfast and Lunch Menus
- MTSS/ Special Education
- School Report Card Link (opens in new window)
- Social Work Support
- Online Payment Link (opens in new window)
- Informational Videos
- Open House
- 1 - 1 Technology Initiative
- Student Records
- Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
- College Prep
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.